Wildfires are affecting Northern California, particularly the Carr fire in Shasta county. A state of Emergency has been declared by the governor in Shasta, Riverside and Mariposa counties. Evacuation orders are in place in several areas and emergency shelters have been opened. The office of emergency services has activated the state operations center to the highest level. Yosemite Valley has been closed due to the fires.
We recommend monitoring the media to keep up to date with local developments and to follow any instructions issued by the local authorities such as Fire and Rescue services (including evacuation orders). Be aware that air quality in some areas is poor due to smoke. New Zealanders in California should also let their friends and family back in New Zealand know about their safety and well-being.
Some useful links to monitor updates include:
Any New Zealanders requiring consular assistance should contact the New Zealand Consulate-General in Los Angeles on +1 310 566 6555 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Zealanders in California are advised to update their registration information or take this opportunity to register with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
Reviewed:8 Aug 2018, 15:00
Latest News features
- New Language for Travel AdvisoriesUpdated: 10 August 2018, 15:15 NZST
- Indonesia: Lombok: 6.9 Magnitude EarthquakeReviewed: 8 August 2018, 15:05 NZST
- United States of America: California: WildfiresReviewed: 8 August 2018, 15:00 NZST
- Saudi Arabia: Hajj Pilgrimage 2018Reviewed: 8 August 2018, 14:55 NZST
- Germany: Oktoberfest 2018Reviewed: 8 August 2018, 14:50 NZST