From no later than 25 March 2017, passengers on direct flights inbound to the United States and the United Kingdom from certain airports in the Middle East and North Africa will not be allowed to carry electronic devices larger than a cell phone or smart phone in carry-on luggage or other accessible property. Electronic devices that exceed the size limits will need to be secured in checked luggage.
For flights to the United Kingdom, the UK government has provided maximum dimensions for electronic devices permitted in carry-on luggage (length: 16.0cm, width: 9.3cm, depth: 1.5cm).
The US security enhancements will apply to inbound flights from the following airports:
- Queen Alia International Airport (AMM)
- Cairo International Airport (CAI)
- Ataturk International Airport (IST)
- King Abdul-Aziz International Airport (JED)
- King Khalid International Airport (RUH)
- Kuwait International Airport (KWI)
- Mohammed V Airport (CMN)
- Hamad International Airport (DOH)
- Dubai International Airport (DXB)
- Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH)
The nine airlines affected by the US ban are Royal Jordanian, EgyptAir, Turkish Airlines, Saudi Arabian Airlines, Kuwait Airways, Royal Air Maroc, Qatar Airways, Emirates and Etihad Airway.
The UK security enhancements will apply to inbound flights from the following countries:
- Saudi Arabia
The fourteen airlines affected by the UK ban are British Airways, EasyJet, Jet2.com, Monarch, Thomas Cook, Thomson, Turkish Airlines, Pegasus Airways, Atlas-Global, Airlines, Middle East Airlines, Egyptair, Royal Jordanian, Tunis Air and Saudia.
For specific details on the additional security measures, see the Homeland Security website and the Foreign Commonwealth Office website.
Travellers to the United States and the United Kingdom, particularly those on flights originating from the Middle East or North Africa, are advised to contact their airline directly to check whether any restrictions on the carriage of electronic devices apply on their flight to the United States or the United Kingdom.
- See the United States of America travel advisory
- See the United Kingdom travel advisory
- See the Egypt travel advisory
- See the Turkey travel advisory
- See the United Arab Emirates travel advisory
- See the Saudi Arabia travel advisory
- See the Jordan travel advisory
- See the Tunisia travel advisory
- See the Lebanon travel advisory
- See the Kuwait travel advisory
- See the Morocco travel advisory
- See the Qatar travel advisory
Updated:22 Mar 2017, 16:08
Latest News features
- United States of America: California: WildfiresReviewed: 12 November 2018, 12:30 NZDT
- Travel InsuranceReviewed: 6 November 2018, 08:25 NZDT
- Democratic Republic of the Congo: Ebola virus Updated: 24 October 2018, 11:43 NZDT
- Papua New Guinea: Temporary Suspension of Visa on ArrivalReviewed: 19 October 2018, 09:50 NZDT
- Pacific Cyclone Season: 1 November to 30 AprilReviewed: 16 October 2018, 10:45 NZDT