Major wildfires have been severely affecting both Northern and Southern California. A state-wide state of emergency was declared by the California Governor in late October, and while it has since been lifted, the situation remains volatile due to extremely dry conditions. In the event of further wildfires, details of affected areas, health services, preparedness information, and emergency shelters can be found on the State of California emergency response portal. Local power companies may cut power across various locations in the state in an attempt to prevent wildfires.
We recommend monitoring the media to keep up to date with local developments and to follow any instructions issued by the local authorities such as Fire and Rescue services (including evacuation orders). Be aware that air quality in some areas may become poor due to smoke.
Any New Zealanders requiring consular assistance should contact the New Zealand Consulate-General in Los Angeles on +1 310 566 6555 or at email@example.com.
New Zealanders in California are advised to update their registration information or take this opportunity to register with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade - https://register.safetravel.govt.nz/login
Reviewed:30 Oct 2019, 13:06
Latest News features
- COVID-19: Advice for New Zealanders OverseasReviewed: 29 June 2020, 13:22 NZST
- Protests and Demonstrations around the United StatesReviewed: 29 June 2020, 13:20 NZST
- Assisted Departure (Repatriation) FlightsReviewed: 27 April 2020, 14:00 NZST
- COVID-19 (Coronavirus)Reviewed: 16 April 2020, 17:20 NZST
- Middle East: Regional TensionsReviewed: 17 March 2020, 13:56 NZDT