Official advice for New Zealanders living and travelling overseas

News features

Canada Visa Exemption

On 15 March 2016, changes to the Canadian visa exemption came into effect. All New Zealand citizens travelling to, or transiting through Canada, including those who currently do not need a visa, now need to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorisation or eTA. Exceptions include travellers with a valid Canadian visa. The leniency period that allows travellers to board their flight without an eTA ends on November 9, 2016.

You can apply for an eTA online for CAD$7, or visit the Canadian Government’s eTA website for more information. It is recommended that you apply for your eTA before you book your flight to Canada. Most applicants get approved within minutes; however, some applications can take several days to process. New Zealand citizens who apply/have applied for a work or study permit since 1 August 2015 have been automatically issued an eTA.

There have been a number of fake websites purporting to sell the eTAs for more than the CAD$7 cost. New Zealanders should take care to ensure they apply for their eTA using the official government of Canada website.

Dual New Zealand-Canadian nationals cannot apply for an eTA on their New Zealand passport. It is strongly recommended that dual citizens travel to Canada with a valid Canadian Passport, which is the only reliable and universally accepted identification document that proves a Canadian has the right to enter Canada. Dual nationals can consult the Government of Canada’s Returning to Canada page for details. 

Associated Advisories:

Share this page:

Share this page:

Latest News features