Large demonstrations have taken place in Hong Kong recently, notably in the areas of Admiralty, Tamar Park and the Central Government Complex. Violent clashes have taken place between police and protesters. Further protests are ongoing in different locations around Hong Kong, including Kowloon and the New Territories.
New Zealanders in Hong Kong are advised to avoid all protests and demonstrations, as even those intended to be peaceful have the potential to turn violent. New Zealanders are also advised to monitor local media for developments and comply with any instructions and restrictions issued by the local authorities. Traffic may be disrupted, including public transport services.
New Zealanders in Hong Kong requiring consular assistance can contact the New Zealand Consulate-General in Hong Kong on +852 2525 5044, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reviewed:16 Jul 2019, 10:15
Latest News features
- Egypt: Suspension of FlightsReviewed: 22 July 2019, 18:00 NZST
- Uganda and Democratic Republic of Congo: Ebola Virus Reviewed: 17 July 2019, 10:00 NZST
- Hong Kong: Ongoing ProtestsReviewed: 16 July 2019, 10:15 NZST
- South Africa: VisasUpdated: 15 July 2019, 09:55 NZST
- Drug Crime Overseas: Don't Risk It Reviewed: 11 July 2019, 15:20 NZST