Major cities in India are currently experiencing severe levels of air pollution. Some of the most common health effects of air pollution include irritation of eyes, throat and lungs. For people with existing respiratory conditions such as asthma or bronchitis, breathing in air pollution can make these conditions worse.
New Zealanders in areas affected by the air pollution are advised to monitor pollution readings, such as those provided by the Air Quality Index website. If you have concerns about the level of pollution, we recommend remaining indoors as much as possible, with doors and windows closed, and refraining from strenuous activity when outdoors. We also recommend seeking medical advice about appropriate precautions. New Zealanders are advised to follow the advice of local authorities at all times.
New Zealanders intending to travel or live in India during the winter months - particularly those with pre-existing health conditions, the very young, or the elderly - may wish to seek medical advice in advance of their trip.
The following sites may give further advice and data regarding pollution levels:
- World Health Organisation Air Pollution Advice: http://www.who.int/topics/air_pollution/en/
- Delhi Government Website: http://www.dpccairdata.com/dpccairdata/display/index.php
- System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting And Research: http://safar.tropmet.res.in/
- Air Quality Index: http://aqicn.org/city/all/ (type in the name of city)
- Readings from the US Embassy in New Delhi: http://clonewdelhi.com/custom/AQI/missionindiaaqi.php#
- Plumes Application for Mobile users: https://www.plumelabs.com/en/
- Anti-pollution face masks: http://food.ndtv.com/food-drinks/review-best-anti-pollution-face-masks-in-india-1622204
Reviewed:17 Dec 2019, 11:46
Latest News features
- COVID-19: Advice for New Zealanders OverseasReviewed: 14 September 2020, 09:20 NZST
- United States of America: WildfiresReviewed: 14 September 2020, 09:00 NZST
- Protests and Demonstrations around the United StatesReviewed: 9 September 2020, 16:10 NZST
- COVID-19 (Coronavirus)Reviewed: 13 August 2020, 17:20 NZST