New Zealanders with unpaid debts overseas may be detained on arrival at the airport by the local authorities, including when in transit. You may also find yourself prevented from departure until a debt is settled or a dispute is resolved. This includes cases of outstanding accommodation bills from previous visits, medical fees, missed loan repayments, bounced cheques, and unresolved commercial and civil disputes. We encourage all New Zealanders to settle all debts including bill payments prior to returning to New Zealand.
Posted:15 Mar 2016, 16:34
Latest News features
- Japan: Rugby World Cup 2019Posted: 20 August 2019, 17:41 NZST
- Outbreaks of PolioReviewed: 16 August 2019, 14:05 NZST
- Hong Kong: Ongoing ProtestsReviewed: 16 August 2019, 10:35 NZST
- Saudi Arabia: Hajj Pilgrimage 2019Reviewed: 30 July 2019, 13:40 NZST
- Egypt: Suspension of FlightsReviewed: 22 July 2019, 18:00 NZST