New Zealanders with unpaid debts overseas may be detained on arrival at the airport by the local authorities, including when in transit. You may also find yourself prevented from departure until a debt is settled or a dispute is resolved. This includes cases of outstanding accommodation bills from previous visits, medical fees, missed loan repayments, bounced cheques, and unresolved commercial and civil disputes. We encourage all New Zealanders to settle all debts including bill payments prior to returning to New Zealand.
Posted:15 Mar 2016, 16:34
Latest News features
- Pacific Cyclone Season: 1 November to 30 AprilReviewed: 11 February 2019, 10:35 NZDT
- Argentina and Panama: HantavirusReviewed: 24 January 2019, 14:40 NZDT
- France: ProtestsReviewed: 3 December 2018, 10:40 NZDT
- Travel InsuranceReviewed: 6 November 2018, 08:25 NZDT
- Democratic Republic of the Congo: Ebola virus Updated: 24 October 2018, 11:43 NZDT