New Zealanders with unpaid debts overseas may be detained on arrival at the airport by the local authorities, including when in transit. You may also find yourself prevented from departure until a debt is settled or a dispute is resolved. This includes cases of outstanding accommodation bills from previous visits, medical fees, missed loan repayments, bounced cheques, and unresolved commercial and civil disputes. We encourage all New Zealanders to settle all debts including bill payments prior to returning to New Zealand.
Reviewed:21 Jan 2020, 11:58
Latest News features
- New Caledonia: Tropical Cyclone NiranPosted: 5 March 2021, 11:55 NZDT
- COVID-19: Advice for New Zealanders OverseasReviewed: 15 February 2021, 09:36 NZDT
- Myanmar: Security situationReviewed: 5 February 2021, 15:55 NZDT
- United States: 2020 Presidential ElectionsReviewed: 29 January 2021, 09:50 NZDT
- Pre-departure COVID-19 test for all travellers to New ZealandUpdated: 26 January 2021, 10:53 NZDT