New Zealanders with unpaid debts overseas may be detained on arrival at the airport by the local authorities, including when in transit. You may also find yourself prevented from departure until a debt is settled or a dispute is resolved. This includes cases of outstanding accommodation bills from previous visits, medical fees, missed loan repayments, bounced cheques, and unresolved commercial and civil disputes. We encourage all New Zealanders to settle all debts including bill payments prior to returning to New Zealand.
Reviewed:21 Jan 2020, 11:58
Latest News features
- Afghanistan: Security SituationReviewed: 13 September 2021, 17:20 NZST
- Restrictions for travellers from 'very high risk' countriesReviewed: 17 August 2021, 15:21 NZST
- Pacific Typhoon and Atlantic Hurricane SeasonPosted: 3 August 2021, 15:20 NZST
- Quarantine-Free TravelReviewed: 23 July 2021, 13:55 NZST
- Myanmar: Security situationReviewed: 19 April 2021, 10:25 NZST