New Zealanders with unpaid debts overseas may be detained on arrival at the airport by the local authorities, including when in transit. You may also find yourself prevented from departure until a debt is settled or a dispute is resolved. This includes cases of outstanding accommodation bills from previous visits, medical fees, missed loan repayments, bounced cheques, and unresolved commercial and civil disputes. We encourage all New Zealanders to settle all debts including bill payments prior to returning to New Zealand.
Reviewed:21 Jan 2020, 11:58
Latest News features
- COVID-19: Advice for New Zealanders OverseasReviewed: 29 June 2020, 13:22 NZST
- Protests and Demonstrations around the United StatesReviewed: 29 June 2020, 13:20 NZST
- Assisted Departure (Repatriation) FlightsReviewed: 27 April 2020, 14:00 NZST
- COVID-19 (Coronavirus)Reviewed: 16 April 2020, 17:20 NZST
- Middle East: Regional TensionsReviewed: 17 March 2020, 13:56 NZDT