Widespread protests and demonstrations are ongoing in Catalonia, including in Barcelona, and are expected to continue for some time. Violent clashes have occurred between demonstrators and police resulting in injuries. During protests, strikes and demonstrations, transport services are likely to be affected and delays expected.
We advise New Zealanders in the area to:
- Avoid all protests and demonstrations, as even those intended to be peaceful have the potential to turn violent with little or no warning;
- Follow the advice of local authorities;
- Monitor the local news for updates (El País is available in English); and
- Contact your hotel/accommodation and travel company in advance to check if there are any disruptions (airport information, public transport).
Barcelona Tourism has launched a telephone line for tourists that have been affected by the demonstrations: +34 93 285 3834.
We encourage all New Zealanders living and travelling offshore to register on SafeTravel. SafeTravel is the official registration facility for New Zealanders travelling or living overseas. If you register with us, we're able to relay important information and account for your safety and wellbeing as part of New Zealand's consular response to an overseas emergency.
New Zealanders in Spain requiring consular assistance can contact the New Zealand Embassy in Madrid, Spain on +34 915 230 226 or at email@example.com.
Updated:14 Nov 2019, 13:01
Latest News features
- Hong Kong: Ongoing ProtestsReviewed: 22 November 2019, 18:49 NZDT
- Australia: BushfiresUpdated: 20 November 2019, 14:54 NZDT
- Chile: Ongoing Civil UnrestReviewed: 19 November 2019, 13:01 NZDT
- MeaslesReviewed: 19 November 2019, 11:12 NZDT
- Spain: ProtestsUpdated: 14 November 2019, 13:01 NZDT