Protests and demonstrations have taken place in Barcelona and other parts of the Catalonia region since the vote on Catalan independence on 1 October 2017. We are advising New Zealanders in Spain to avoid all protests and demonstrations as even those intended to be peaceful have the potential to result in violence. We recommend monitoring the media to keep up to date with local developments and following any instructions issued by the local authorities.
Barcelona El Prat International airport is currently operating normally. In the event of disruptions to travel, we advise New Zealanders to contact their airline or travel agent directly to confirm any upcoming travel arrangements.
New Zealanders currently in or planning on travelling to Spain are advised to update their registration information or take this opportunity to register with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
New Zealanders requiring consular assistance should contact the New Zealand Embassy in Madrid on +34 915 230 226 or at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Reviewed:20 Oct 2017, 12:30
Latest News features
- Spain: Protests and StrikesReviewed: 20 October 2017, 12:30 NZDT
- Indonesia: Bali: Mount Agung VolcanoReviewed: 7 October 2017, 18:15 NZDT
- Vanuatu: Ambae Island VolcanoReviewed: 7 October 2017, 18:00 NZDT
- Thailand: Royal CremationUpdated: 4 October 2017, 10:55 NZDT
- United States of America: Changes to entry requirementsReviewed: 2 October 2017, 13:52 NZDT