On 21 April 2019, multiple bomb blasts occurred at churches and hotels in Colombo and other parts of Sri Lanka causing 290 deaths and 500 injuries.
New Zealanders throughout Sri Lanka are advised to exercise a high degree of personal security awareness at all times, be alert during religious or national festivals, avoid large public gatherings and exercise caution in areas with large crowds. Further attacks, including low-scale or opportunistic attacks, cannot be ruled out.
If you see an unattended object, leave the area immediately and be aware of your surroundings. We recommend following any instructions issued by the local authorities and exercising particular vigilance in public places. You should monitor the media and other local information sources for any new information on potential threats to your safety and security.
New Zealanders in Sri Lanka requiring consular assistance can contact the New Zealand High Commission in New Delhi on +91 11 4688 3170 or via email on: firstname.lastname@example.org
Updated:23 Apr 2019, 11:36
Latest News features
- Venezuela: Civil unrestReviewed: 3 May 2019, 16:35 NZST
- Ramadan 2019Reviewed: 3 May 2019, 14:20 NZST
- Sri Lanka - Explosions in and near ColomboUpdated: 23 April 2019, 11:36 NZST
- Measles - check you are protected before you travelReviewed: 3 April 2019, 14:35 NZDT
- Advice for New Zealanders overseasPosted: 18 March 2019, 14:10 NZDT