If you’re heading overseas, don’t forget to take out comprehensive travel insurance. Your policy should cover any activities you plan to undertake (from scuba diving to scooter riding), personal liability, medical treatment, emergency medical evacuation, and any pre-existing medical conditions. Even minor medical treatment can be very expensive overseas.
If you suffer an injury overseas and return to New Zealand, ACC may be able to help with treatment costs in New Zealand, but only if you intended to be overseas for less than six months. ACC is unable to cover expenses incurred overseas. Visit the ACC website to learn more.
Consumer NZ travel insurance guide
We have been working with Consumer NZ to help create a useful travel insurance guide for New Zealand travellers. The guide helps you navigate the sometimes complex world of travel insurance. It provides timely and useful information on policy types, insurance coverage, personal liability and how to make a successful insurance claim if you get into difficulty while travelling.
To read Consumer NZ’s travel insurance guide, click here.
Reviewed:6 Nov 2018, 08:25
Latest News features
- MeaslesReviewed: 13 November 2019, 12:54 NZDT
- Chile: Ongoing Civil UnrestReviewed: 12 November 2019, 09:24 NZDT
- Bolivia: Civil UnrestReviewed: 12 November 2019, 09:10 NZDT
- Australia: BushfiresUpdated: 11 November 2019, 15:59 NZDT
- Pacific Cyclone Season: 1 November to 30 AprilReviewed: 6 November 2019, 09:19 NZDT