The Vanuatu Meteorology and Geo-hazards Department has assessed the Volcanic Alert Level as Level 3 (out of 5) for the Manaro Voui volcano on Ambae Island which is in a minor eruption state. Vanuatu authorities have declared a state of emergency and a mandatory evacuation order is in place for Ambae Island.
New Zealanders in Vanuatu are advised to follow the advice of the local authorities, including the evacuation order.
In the event of volcanic ash clouds, New Zealanders travelling to/from Vanuatu are advised to confirm their travel arrangements with their airline or travel agent directly, prior to travelling to the airport. If your travel is disrupted, ensure you keep all receipts to support your travel insurance claim.
If you require consular assistance please contact the New Zealand High Commission in Port Vila on Tel: +678 22933 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Reviewed:7 Oct 2017, 18:00
Latest News features
- Spain: Protests and StrikesReviewed: 20 October 2017, 12:30 NZDT
- Indonesia: Bali: Mount Agung VolcanoReviewed: 7 October 2017, 18:15 NZDT
- Vanuatu: Ambae Island VolcanoReviewed: 7 October 2017, 18:00 NZDT
- Thailand: Royal CremationUpdated: 4 October 2017, 10:55 NZDT
- United States of America: Changes to entry requirementsReviewed: 2 October 2017, 13:52 NZDT