If you wish to adopt a child overseas, comprehensive information is available on the Ministry for Vulnerable Children, Oranga Tamariki website.
Your nearest Adoption Information and Services Unit (AISU) of the Ministry for Vulnerable Children, Oranga Tamariki can assist you.
Inter-country adoptions take time and money. If you are overseas for the purpose of an inter-country adoption you should:
- have access to enough money to cover emergencies
- be aware that you are subject to the laws of the country you are in
- be prepared for delays
- register with us.
What Consular Officers can do
- provide you with a list of lawyers
- provide notarial assistance (certifying documents etc).
What Consular Officers cannot do
- become involved in the adoption process, for example by certifying that you are of good character
- provide advice on the adoption process either in New Zealand or overseas
- speed up the process, eg if there are delays.